Things I’ve read in the last 20 days:
- Broken Grace by E.C. Diskin. This was OK. I would recommend it for a plane flight no more than 4 hours. Plot moves quickly but the writing reminds me of edgy fanfic I wrote in middle school.
- The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson. Should be adapted into a Lifetime movie. Or was ripped off from a Lifetime movie—the line is thin. Save it for a cross country flight. This is fiction but even I had trouble suspending my disbelief because the description of the “garden” was very complicated and there is no way that no one ever noticed it no matter how many ways it’s written that they don’t.
- Good as Gone by Amy Gentry. Again, could be a Lifetime movie. Get this if your flight is delayed. Like the Butterfly Garden, half the time I was thinking, “Yeah. OKAY. Sure.” The plot moves quickly enough and the writing is something you might get out of your favorite person in your MFA writing workshop.
- Burying the Honeysuckle Girls by Emily Carpenter. This one tells you in the title it’s “a Novel,” so you know it’s gonna be good. Save this for rainy weekend. I would watch this as a Lifetime movie several times. The writing is good, there’s a lot going on plot-wise, and I actually liked the protagonist which is more than I can say for the 3 books above.
- Wreckage by Emily Bleeker. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Ugh this is a Lifetime movie that takes itself too seriously. The two main characters are EXTREMELY unlikeable. I was hoping they both died in the plane crash and the book would only be 10 pages long. The dialogue is BLAAAAH and CORNY, like shit I would write in my romantic Backstreet Boys fanfics from 1998. DO NOT READ unless you really feel like slogging through a book that should take a weekend at most.
Things I have not read in the last 20 days:
- Leah Letter.