My dad is doing some electrical work in the house, so he had to turn off the power to where he was going to be working. (He learned to do this the hard way, when he cut through a LIVE WIRE while I was holding onto the light fixture. Sparks went everywhere, but no fire and no electrocution - thankfully. But endless bitching from me and my mom.) Anyway, it turns out that our smoke detectors are hardwired into the power, and now that there's no power they're freaking out. 3 different detectors chirping at different times. When the third one ends, it's time for the first one to start up. It never stops.